• The winner of the Vern Rutsala Book Prize wins an immediate cash prize of $1000 and publication of his or her book with a full color cover.
• Cloudbank poetry editors seek a wide range of styles, approaches, forms, and aesthetics (for example: lyric, prose poems, experimental, flash fiction, etc).
• Electronic and postal submissions are accepted from around the world with no citizenship limitations. Click here to access our online submission manager. Our mailing address is: Cloudbank Books, P.O. Box 610, Corvallis, OR 97339.
• The judge this year is Christopher Buckley.
• All writers who enter the contest will receive a free back issue of Cloudbank magazine or a copy of Towline, winner of the Vern Rutsala Poetry Prize 2016. Indicate your selection in your cover letter.
Due date: October 31, 2018. Reading fee is $25.
1. Simultaneous submissions and multiple submissions are acceptable.
2. Revisions are not allowed during the contest.
3. Manuscript submissions must be original. (If you include quotes from other works in your manuscript, please be sure they are clearly attributed to the author either on the same page or in a “Notes” section at the back of the manuscript.)
4. Manuscripts must be in English, although it is perfectly acceptable to include some text in other languages.
5. Manuscripts must be previously unpublished, although individual poems in a manuscript are still eligible for this contest if they have been previously published in print or web magazines, journals, anthologies, or on a personal website.
6. Manuscripts should be 60 to 90 pages. Enclose two cover sheets with your submission, one with your contact information and one without.
7. Postal submissions will not be returned. You can include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) for notification of the contest results.